Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sad News

Dan Dunlap died on October 22, 2011 in an accident while cutting down a tree.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

His Intensity and Presence will be missed by all who knew him.


Below is a note from Bob Combs.

I was up in the High Country for the weekend and just finished a awesome run/hike of about 4 hours on Saturday.
When I got back to the room there was a voice message on my phone from a good friends (Dan Dunlap) ex wife.
I could tell by the tone in her voice that something very serious had happened. After calling her and leaving a message, she called me back.
Dan was killed instantly by a large falling tree branch. Dan had been working with a tree service company for many years, even when working a M-F full time he would work the tree service on the weekends.
Dan was always going 110 MPH.
Back in high school I knew of Dan from high school Cross Country, I ran for La Brae for 2 years, Dan ran for Py Valley. He was an All State runner in HS track and Cross Country.
Dan went to Ohio University and was an All American. Running 14:xx minutes for 5000.
I first met Dan when we worked together at a telecom company around 1998, we worked together and car pooled for about 2+ years. This is when Dan and I became friends. Golf outings, company dinners, good fun stuff.
We always kept in touch, never a quick phone call, we were both ramblers on the phone.
I remember when he called me to ask if I knew anything about some 50K trail run in Mill Creek Park. Of course I had him signed up within the week. Joined NEOTC as well. If we had more time I know I could have got him running his first 100, he was asking those questions.
Dan leaves behind a son in high school (Drew), I hope he lives and runs like his Dad!
I will miss you! My heart is heavy but my feet are light thinking of you.
Bob

No comments: