Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Coach Hanks 024 Race Report

His words:


   Cruised through marathon distance in 4:12 and 50k in just over 5. Felt pretty rough at that point and walked a couple laps while drinking mixture of water and Nuun and pounding salt pills. Came out of it.
 
   Pounded laps from there until just before 50 when brother showed up and ran a few. He thought I was nuts running that fast but easy course and I like to run. Finished 50 in 8:48 and 1 lap behind leader in second place.
 
  Wheels came off and walked next 5 laps trying to perk back up. Got worse and worse. Gary Sexton had suggested nap so I went for it. Napped in car for 45 minutes and got back to running laps. Ran to mile 64 and friend showed up. Walked a lap with her. She went to get ice cream while I walked another. Ate as much ice cream as could, took 800mg ibuprofen, and walked another. Ready to puke and wobbling by end of lap. Back to the car to nap at 67.
 
  Woke up to Jim and Heath’s texts. Got out of car and crushed laps until 85 telling myself to not be a pussy the whole way. By 85 the burst was gone. 86 was another wobbling walk. Decision time. Nap worked twice but only 14 to go and 5 hours left. Went for the nap.
 
   Alarm didn’t go off and ended up in car until just after 4. Super stiff. Need to run. Worked out stiffness during 87 and then ran from there until 99. Walked 100 and called it a day. Brother with me for last 4.
 
  Here’s what I ate:
 
Pre-race- bowl of cereal and 2 sausage biscuits
 
Race- 1 cookie, ¼ PB&J sandwich, 2 Gus, 2 handfuls of nuts/trail mix, 2 orange slices, 2 cantaloupe slices, 4-5 slices watermelon, ½ grilled cheese sandwich, 4-5 styrofoam cups of ramen heavy on juice, some ice cream(say McDs kiddie cone size)
 
From the time I ate ice cream around mile 67 until end of race I might have had one cup of ramen. Drank mixture of Nuun and water until could only take water. Hydration wise did OK. Stomach upset and hard to eat for most of race. Tried some upset stomach pills but didn’t help. Be nice to find something that works. Dumb that haven’t tried yet but need to do something long and go with straight liquid fuel.
 
Think I win this race if I knew how to fuel myself. That’s part of the deal. Everybody going through similar thing.
 
Overall had a great time. 50 mile PR by over an hour. Met Tom Jennings and had good time with him. Got to talk to the “King” and get the Vol state scoop. Got to run with Gary S and Suzanne W quite a bit and really enjoyed their company. Wish I could just drop this in the bucket and move to shorter distances, but guess I’m hooked. Time for some stupid solo stuff.
 

No comments: