Friday, July 3, 2009

QotD - June 29 - July 3


To be added to the QotD list, contact Jim Harris at james.a.harris@delphi.com.

June 29th
A lot of people want a shortcut. I find the best shortcut is the long way, which is basically two words: work hard. As I see it, if you work more hours than somebody else, during those hours you learn more about your craft. That can make you more efficient, more able, even happier. Hard work is like compounded interest in the bank. The rewards build faster.

-Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

June 30th
When man runs and his worn out body and tired muscles fervently oppose his mental perseverance to continue the race, I'd say that's a pretty big challenge. My question is, how hard do you push yourself to demonstrate your own character?

-Scott Peragine

July 1st
As you know, going from a person who worked out constantly to a person that just had heart surgery is a big change. This has given me a lot of time to think. One thing that always comes back to my mind that I am going to share with you is this..... What good does all of this actually do. What does running ultra's, biking, lifting, ect. What does it do for you? Where does it get you?

For me, the answer is this. It's not about what you do in life. It is about what you don't do. The truth is running has not got me anywhere in life. I don't enjoy it. I hate it really. It certainly hasn't made an income for my family. And it definitely takes up a lot of my spare time. So why do it then? Because I can. When I was running 100 mile races back to back weekends, people never understood. They thought I was crazy. They told me how injured I was going to get. But I didn't care. I still don't. Tomorrow is never promised to you. If I looked back on those times now and didn't do the Plain 100 because it was too soon after my other race, I would kick myself. Now I can look back and say. I'm glad that I did what I did when I could.

I am not saying that this is how everybody should be. What I am saying is that I believe everybody should push themselves to their limit. Whether it be in life or in sport. If not, you will wake up one day and your limits will have been determined by other factors. Health, family, work, ect. While you have it in your power to do something, do it. Don't wait until that opportunity gets taken from you. I know I'm not.
-Goggins

July 2nd
We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall never surrender.
-Winston Churchill

July 3rd
I've always sort of thought that at Hardrock you sort of live your entire life in a single day," said Roch Horton, a five-time finisher. "You'll be the happiest you'll ever be in your entire life, whenever that was, here at Hardrock. And the most ragged, lowdown, just desperate, decrepit, degenerate, sore - you're going to feel that, too, in one day, all in one continuous experience.

No comments: